De Daken, 1923
This winter landscape depicts various roofs, trees and a church tower. Purple and red colours dominate alongside the white snow. The painting exudes a certain melancholy and sad atmosphere. It depicts the view from Charles-René Callewaert's studio. This was located on the second floor of the former Carmelite monastery in Ghent, giving out onto Trommelstraat. Jules De Bruycker, Leonard De Buck and Karel Van Belle also had their easels here. In the painting De Daken Callewaert gives a panorama of the orchard and the Drongen chapel. There is a watercolour by Jules De Bruycker with a similar view in the collection of The Museum of Fine Arts Ghent.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)